2013–14 CONTEST RULES
The Society of Midland Authors literary awards recognize excellence—the best books of their kind by Midwestern writers. Our judges will select one winner in each category and may also select one or two finalists as worthy of recognition. Each winner will receive $500 and a recognition plaque, and each finalist will receive a plaque, at an awards banquet on May 13, 2014, in Chicago.
A book may be nominated by its author or publisher. Please read the following rules carefully before submitting:
- An entry form must accompany each book to each judge for a total of three forms per title (three judges, three forms, three books). Books unaccompanied by completed entry forms will not be considered.
- There is no entry fee and the author need not be a member of the SMA.
- The book must have been published in 2013 (with a corresponding copyright date) and the author must reside in, be born in, or have strong ties to one of the 12 Midland states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- At this time, we do not consider e-book originals unless there is a corresponding print edition.
- Books by deceased authors are eligible, provided they meet the other requirements.
- Submissions must be postmarked by February 1, 2014. We strongly encourage early submissions.
To enter this year's competition, print out the entry form posted at http://www.midlandauthors.com/contest_form.html and include a completed copy with each nominated book mailed to the judges (again: three judges, three forms, three books). Make sure that you enter the book in the proper category (Adult Fiction, Adult Nonfiction, Biography & Memoir (adult), Children's Fiction, Children's Nonfiction, or Poetry). Books entered in improper categories will be disqualified.
Thank you and good luck!
—The Awards Committee
top of page